It’s hard to believe that over nearly 5 weeks, we covered 24 States *deep breath*: New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, and Michigan…plus, not to be forgotten, District of Columbia! We managed to go from Eastern to Central to Mountain to Pacific time zones….and all the way back again (now that can really mess a person up, believe me!).
Some states we just drove through in passing (hello Delaware….goodbye Delaware), other spots we visited for a half day (Charleston, Savannah), some we spent a couple days (Illinois, New Mexico), and others we spent up to a week (Louisiana, Florida, Tennessee). This was an epic road trip, covering nearly 13,000 km and staying in every kind of accommodation you can imagine – timeshares, luxury resorts, AirBnBs, and every variety of roadside motel! I wouldn’t trade it for anything.
As a recap of this epic journey, I’m sharing a few highlights of what I learned along the way:
- Craft beer is completely mainstream in the U.S. – virtually every restaurant, grocery store and even gas station stocks craft beer. There is also an explosion of microbreweries and brewpubs! It’s hard to pick a favourite, but Jester King in Austin was a highlight.
- You’ll have no problem finding a good time in Chicago at 3:00 AM on a Monday.
- The cherry blossoms in Washington DC do not bloom when the festival begins! Check with local sources to find out when they blossom before booking your trip.
- The Grand Canyon is truly breathtaking!
- Americans really appreciate live music. From New Orleans to Memphis to Nashville, there is no shortage of fantastic, free live music in the U.S….just please don’t forget to tip the musicians.
- If you don’t want to break the bank, find a happy hour near you.
- Public drinking laws are way more loose in the U.S. than expected.
- There are a million ways to eat an alligator in the South.
- Expect the unexpected – like gourmet pizza in Louisville or organic brewing in Orlando.
- Art can be found in the most unexpected places too, like on a Cadillac in the middle of the Texas desert.
- There is SO much beauty to be found, and the best way to find it is to get out of the car and just go for a stroll.
I hope you enjoyed following along on our USA road trip! MyTorontoLife will now be returning to its regularly scheduled Toronto programming…until the next trip! 🙂
*Disclaimer: The featured image of a Volkswagon beetle bus was not our mode of transport, though I kind of wish it was! I snapped this photo at a rest stop in Arkansas.
Have you had any epic road trips?